Skynet Gaming x Tango 5v5 Event! ×

Server Revival Time?

Which server would you prefer?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which server would you prefer?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/31/17 at 11:00 PM

Hello everyone, I'm back after a long break, and hopefully am bringing (somewhat) good news to some of you.  

After the previous server was started, I never really got the chance to give it my full attention, as I had college starting, and was pretty nervous about it.  I have spent my Christmas break with family and friends, along with being sick for almost a week.  After all of that, I'm finally prepared to truly get this shit done, and have it ready for you within the next week, seeming that I have all of the necessary building blocks needed.  

I am going to propose 3 server ideas, and have you all choose whichever ones sound the most appealing, leaving the major decisions up to the players, and I will stand by them.  This will mean that from the beginning, the server will have your opinions put in, but if there are issues that arise after the server has launched that need attending to, then I will be the one deciding how they will be handled.  This was a larger issue last time, as many players voiced the "need" to have the server fixated on only their needs and wants, rather than what other players might believe or want.  Although this was concerning, it showed that there was a true population and community that wanted the server around, but just didn't know how to interact with each other.  

Now that the issue has been addressed, here are the 3 server choices:

1. Simple Multiplayer (SMP):
  A choice mainly sought after by @Douglas, would be just a server with either hardcore mode implemented (items don't drop on death, etc) or just a regular server without pvp.  This would be more for players who just enjoy building, without a competitive feel to it, and would allow for players to have a security of their items being THEIRS.  This would not have griefing allowed, and would account for things like withers etc. that might be attempted to be used by other players to grief.  As the first option, it is the most peaceful, and so it would bring the most casual crowd of players.

2. Towny/Factions (Regular-OP):
This would be very similar to what was done before, except with improvements like a larger worldborder, a better spawn and shop, along with the ability to obtain items much faster than before via in-game kits etc.  This would be a lot more "OP" than the previous server, and would extend the fun from a few weeks to at least a few months.  There would still be a ranking system, but there would be a reason to pvp, and a reason to go to areas that are only about pvp.  I would need help from everyone on general improvements, and rules that would be implemented off the bat, but again this would be a strict server with only staff being the ones changing the server.  As far as servers go, this will probably be the most popular, but I will need direct input to what you want rule and kit wise, not plugin wise.  I can handle plugins, just as long as I can get the recommendations for setting up the config files.

3. Skyblock/Cutoff Survival:
I had some time to think about this, and really had a chance to come up with a couple of scenarios that would be enjoyable and could provide a large amount of playtime.  I would not want to do a regular "1x1" skyblock, but rather allow a startup with a couple of islands in the sky, or possibly have a full world that is 20 blocks tall, but has islands spread out across it, allowing for water travel to each other.  This could bring teams together, but also create a more enjoyable environment than just "let's hide underground and make a farm."  It could provide a platform for creative building and alliances, rather than just betraying people once you find their lootroom.  This idea would take the longest to create, as I do not believe there is a plugin supporting this, so I would have to outsource to someone to figure that out, but it would allow for some awesome gameplay!

I don't have a large amount else to say, but I hope that there is the remaining community that would enjoy playing on the server and would be hyped up about trying to play again, as it was fun watching the server grow before.  Thanks for your time, and I hope we can make a decision soon!  I will close the poll by December 31st, at 6 P.M.  Vote by then, and PLEASE leave suggestions so that we can get the ball rolling and figure this shit out!

Can we not do all 3? I’ve seen it done before on other big Minecraft servers, where you can do a command like /servers and it bring up different modes with different worlds. Maybe you could implement this with the different modes. (I don’t have the slightest clue on how Minecraft plugins and stuff work)

As for the skyblock, I only see people being interested in this server if it’s the 1x1. 

8 minutes ago, Douglas said:

That’s expensive and would split the servers population

It shouldn’t be expensive since we have dedi’s with plenty of space, and it would probably be most appealing to the players if there was a wider variety of game modes to play. For example, if you get burned out of factions and just want to chill or hang out with friends, you can just swap over to the smp or sky block server.

Just now, Hibibi said:

It shouldn’t be expensive since we have dedi’s with plenty of space, and it would probably be most appealing to the players if there was a wider variety of game modes to play. For example, if you get burned out of factions and just want to chill or hang out with friends, you can just swap over to the smp or sky block server.

The biggest issue is that if you have 24 players on a single kind of server, lets say SMP, and then you split it up and add the other two, you will have roughly populations of 8 on each server, and as much as that might seem like it's not terrible, populations on servers aren't the same as CS:GO servers.  You don't invest time into a cs server unless you are playing for the points, in which you can hop onto different ones, rather than having to stay on one server for a long period of time to obtain what you want.  The large difference in the two is the ability to change servers quickly and still keep your progress, so yes, if there were a point system that allowed for making points across servers be used for aesthetic items, then yes, I can see it SORT OF working, but not from the beginning.  We would need a larger population before that was possible.

4 minutes ago, Hibibi said:

GOtta disagree, too many options is just over saturation. Gimmicky servers or servers with low life times (sky block/factions) don’t have longevity over time.

20 minutes ago, Doofy The Nut™ said:

The biggest issue is that if you have 24 players on a single kind of server, lets say SMP, and then you split it up and add the other two, you will have roughly populations of 8 on each server, and as much as that might seem like it's not terrible, populations on servers aren't the same as CS:GO servers.  You don't invest time into a cs server unless you are playing for the points, in which you can hop onto different ones, rather than having to stay on one server for a long period of time to obtain what you want.  The large difference in the two is the ability to change servers quickly and still keep your progress, so yes, if there were a point system that allowed for making points across servers be used for aesthetic items, then yes, I can see it SORT OF working, but not from the beginning.  We would need a larger population before that was possible.

Yeah, I get it, I’m just trying to shoot out ideas based on my experience on our Minecraft server. We mainly just need to make sure it doesn’t get boring in a week to two like last time.

Either way I’ll be trying it out. It’s nice to see you back and working on it!

27 minutes ago, Zarn said:

smp is so boring, why is it winning ;(

Cause out of all of them you're the only one that finds it boring.

I don't think you would need to "outsource" from someone, you could probably use a regular skyblock plugin like that but change whatever is in the plugin that controls the maps. I would be fine with any of these personally though.